Monday, March 17, 2008

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words...

or stitches...

Where have we been? Here. Just busy as usual. School continues on - On the Math Front - Miss E is only 3 lessons away from starting Gamma in Math U See - she is very excited. Miss A is continuing on in Alpha and doing well. Mr. E is chugging along in Primer and doing great too. Mr. Baby is talking up a storm and we can almost always tell what he's saying these days :) He "sings" Amazing Grace often and when he's not singing that, he's singing Kindred in Christ along w/everyone else at bedtime. This past Sunday CKB mentioned Amazing Grace and quoted the first line during his sermon - Mr. Baby heard what Daddy had said and started singing from the 2nd pew :) I don't know if anyone else in the church house heard/knew what was going on, but it brought joy to my heart and to CKB's when I told him about it later. :)

Ok, stitches. Yes. It's been probably 4 years since I've done anything w/sewing (since Mr. E was born) and lately I've been saddened more and more every time I look for long dresses for the girls and don't find them. So, I dusted off the sewing machine, literally, after digging it out of the box it's been packed in, and looked to see what patterns I had that might be the right size. Most of the patterns were too small now for the girls. I think I had 2 that went up to size 8. Sigh. So I chose one to try. Simplicity 5827.



Now, I can hear you saying "But, you said LONG dresses". Yes, I did. I lengthened the pattern :) Now, it is still not turning out quite as long as I'd like, but the dress I'm ALMOST DONE WITH is a "test" run w/some fabric I got long ago for $1/yd that I had thought to make curtains with for the girls' room, but never did before we moved from our house in S. TX. Hmm, curtain fabric...clothes...brings a certain movie to mind...but this material looks fine for dresses whereas in that movie...well....anyway....

So...long story short, in my ever so tiny amount of spare time on a couple of evenings lately, I've been trying to make a dress for Miss E. I am thrilled to report that it is almost done! I even put in my first zipper and I *think* it looks fine! Now, I'm not a wonderful seamstress - noone has taught me to sew, so I'm just thrilled when it turns out looking like the picture on the package AND fits!

So.....stay tuned because I HOPE to post a pic of the final product TOMORROW - all I have left to do is hem it and get Miss E to model it :) Yay! Then, I hope to make another for Miss A - and hopefully that one will go a little more quickly! Whether or not I'll stick w/this pattern remains to be seen...I might try out the other one I had that went up to an 8...we'll see.

In stitches.....CAB

1 comment:

Lepidoptera said...

I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. Don't forget to post the picture please!