Friday, June 6, 2008

Adorable Mother's Day Project

Well, now that Mother's Day has come and gone and we were able to deliver gifts to both of our mothers, I can share our present with everyone. I found this idea a few years ago on ilovephotography.com message boards and thought it was cute. I toyed w/the idea of creating our own for awhile, but just never got around to doing it. I decided this was the year to make it happen and commenced shooting - after finally getting some pics I was happy with, I used fotofusion to create the final product and made my order.

I waited for it to arrive, hoping it would look like I wanted it to and when it arrived I was very pleased with the result. After a little trimming to fit the frames I'd purchased, we were in business.

I hope you can see the effect in this picture - the odd angle is to help show the 3D of the flowers coming out of the frame/picture at you when you look at it. Mr. A showed his personality by holding up both hands - how could I not use that picture! Mr. E had his Aggie hat on, of course. Miss E has her bonnet slung around her neck - true Laura-style. And, Miss A is just Miss A - always ready to have a picture taken and the most cooperative of them all in this endeavor :)

Now, to have one printed for myself and put it on *my* wall!


9 comments:

Lok said...

okay - this is so cool. Thank you for posting this idea. I'm absolutely going to have to give this a try for future gifts! The kids look so beautiful.

CAB said...

Hey LOK - one thing that may not come across very well in the picture I took of the picture ;) is that you want to have Poodle and Tooter hold out their little closed fists toward you and get your camera focus on their hands, not their faces, to get the nice 3D effect - happy shooting!

Lok said...

okay - so I googled "3D" pictures to get more info on what this was, and didn't end up with the right info. I don't have fotofusion, but might be able to "borrow" a copy of photoshop from my brother. What is this process called? Or, what do I google for more info on this type of photo?

Anonymous said...

Hi,this is an awesome effect. Are those real flowers or are they graphic images overlaid on the photo? _Melissa in Portland :)

CAB said...

Hey stranger (Melissa)! I was just thinking about you the other day!

They are real fake flowers :) Artificial flowers, that is!

CAB said...

LOK - kind of like 3D movies/glasses etc., ya know? You put your camera's focus on the hand out front so the child is a tad blurred (more distant) - depth of field and all - I could get more technical if you want me to :) Anywho, that way it gives the "feel" of it being more real w/the hand out front w/the flowers coming out of the frame (by the way - NO GLASS) - does that help?

Lok said...

ah ha....... that's what was confusing me. I thought the flowers were part of the photograph. But they are actual flowers that are attached to the picture. ah ha.... Okay - that is even more creative than what I thought it was before. You did a great job!

Lori said...

That is TOO COOL! I'm not sure I could pull it off, but I want to try at some point.

At first, I thought you had printed two copies of each picture (with real flowers in your childrens' hands), then cut the pictures out of the second copy and glued them on -- like those ol' framed 3D things people used to make. So I'm glad other people asked questions.

CAB said...

:) Y'all are giving me a little too much credit in the creativity (and time) department, I'm afraid ;) The "how-to" tutorial is coming soon - I need to order my print first though! Stay tuned!