Monday, October 6, 2008

Baby Quilt - a first!


Ok, this is something I've been wanting to do since we found out we were having Miss E many years ago!

Miss Baby is due in January, so I figure I have time to try to make a quilt for her BEFORE she's born and if all goes well, I'll backtrack and make one for each of the children.

So, after getting a new cutting mat (the one I had was ruined in one of our many moves) and some inspiration from a couple of quilt blogs, as well as a trip to the fabric store to look around and pick up some fat quarters to possibly incorporate in the quilt, I think I'm ready to begin! Also, a big thanks to a new blogging friend who has answered a lot of my questions recently - thanks Jessica!

The plan is to make it a patchwork quilt...I picked up some random fat quarters - just went down the row and picked some that I liked, not necessarily planning to use them all together. As of right now, I'm leaning toward using the top two in the picture...somehow I'm drawn to pink/brown combinations these days. Only problem is the selection was not as extensive at the Jo-Ann I visited in fat quarters for these colors. I'm going to try to visit a Hancock Fabrics soon and see what they might have to go with these. We'll see. I'll try to keep y'all updated on my progress if anyone's interested and hopefully y'all knowing about this will help keep me on track!

4 comments:

Latane Barton said...

Anxious to see the finished project. I know Miss Baby will love snuggling up in it. Good luck. And, be sure to post pictures.

Amanda Jean said...

good luck with your first baby quilt! it's fun that your youngest will have a new quilt first. the younger set rarely get anything new first. cute fabrics that you chose.

Lok said...

I would so love to learn to quilt. Fat Quarters? Are those pieces of money in need of a diet? sigh.... I need a cheap and quick class somewhere. Somewhere I could go and for two hours be taught the basics of quilting.

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful fabrics! We were at Quilt Bee today, Mom & I, and it's so hard to pass up all that delicious fabric! I think the pinks and browns will make a wonderful quilt! Can't wait to see how it turns out!