Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Coupon Experiment - part 2

Awhile back I decided to sign up for the Grocery Game trial on their site - it cost $1 and I figured it might be worthwhile to see what all the hoopla was about. I found quickly that it wasn't for me - I barely have enough time to get to the grocery store once a week, and this was going to require me hitting about 3-4 stores to get all 'deals' and such. Cancelled!!!

So, this week I decided to try something different. I went through the coupons we had from the past couple of Sunday papers and cut out the ones for things we typically buy. Granted, a lot of things that I typically buy are the store brand and in the past I've found that even w/the coupon the store brand is still cheaper than the name brand. So...I'm going to shop at Kroger - home of the double and triple coupons and see how it goes just on those items I cut coupons for. Miss E doesn't know it yet, but she's to be my assistant and record prices on a spreadsheet I made. Yes, a spreadsheet, I like them..it's a sickness...kind of like being drawn to the office supply aisle to look at all the neat pens and such...ahem... anyway...back to coupons.

So, we'll see how it goes. I'll be sure to fill you in.
My quandry is wondering if the prices at Kroger even w/the double/triple/etc. coupons will beat the regular prices at Wal-mart. So, yes, I'll have to do a Wal-mart trip as well to compare. Fun. But, after this, I should have a good idea and in the future I'll know if it'd be worth it overall to fool with this and I can take a quick look at the fabric they have at Wal-mart while I'm there - WIN WIN :)

If this happens today after Miss E's piano lesson, it'll be some kind of miracle. I don't know why, but last night I was falling asleep sitting on the couch at 9:30 p.m.! I was in bed by 10:30 p.m. and up around 7 a.m. and still can't shake the feeling of being extremely tired. Maybe my iron level is low...that happens sometimes during pregnancy...better put spinach on the grocery list!

Back later....with the results...hopefully!

1 comment:

Lok said...

Now. This is interesting. Something I've always wanted to do but have never taken the time to do it. Spreadsheet away, honey. I'm behind you!