Sunday, August 31, 2008

Blueberry Muffins a la Alton Brown's recipe

Last night we had a crazy dinner, as the children call it when we have breakfast for dinner.

What was on the menu?

Blueberry muffins!



I have used this recipe before and liked it so much that I kept it for future use. You can find it here.

Our recipe differed only in that I used all-purpose flour, NOT cake flour. And yes, I did weigh the flour - Mr. Brown seems to insist upon such things in his show and the recipes that come from it!

The blueberries were hand picked by yours truly and my 4 helpers, Miss E, Miss A, Mr. E and Mr. A around this past July at a nearby blueberry farm.

The muffins were mmmm mmmm good! If you've been making your blueberry muffins from a boxed mix - shame shame on you! Get some fresh or frozen blueberries at your local grocery store and whip some of these up - you'll be glad you did!


We also picked blackberries that same hot day in July and I thought they might be good in muffins as well so I whipped up a batch with blackberries while I was waiting on the blueberry muffins to bake. The verdict....not so good. The blackberries lost their sweetness and were somewhat tart and unpleasant in the muffins. Oh well, you never know until you try something, right?



So...to sum it up:

blueberry muffins - GOOOOOOD
blackberry muffins - not so good

What's your favorite kind of muffin?